Seriously, the parks here are so amazing. A few months ago, Magra, the kids and I went with my friends Katie (and her boys) and Suzy (and her Jacob) to the Hachinohe Children's Land. It is a park attached to the botanical gardens in Hachinohe, one of the larger cities in our area. This place was totally crowded with Japanese high school students who went ga-ga over my friends' American boys!! My kids, apparently, are nothing special to them - since they look slightly asian and at least have darker features. If you have blonde hair over here, you will be mobbed and photographed! Little Jacob had some paparazzi going on and looked like a celebrity as we were coming into the park!
It was such fun - can't wait to go back again, with Jim this time. He would have had so much fun with the kids on the different rides. My favorite part of this day was at the end, when we stopped into the cafe for some frozen treats. They had some popsicles that Hayden could have as well as ice cream. This is always a real treat when Hayden can have one with his friends (he is dairy and egg allergic). Many a time I have had to say to him that I have treats at home for him (ice cream doesn't travel really well) and although he has such a great attitude, I can tell it's hard for him.
I knew he was happy, but the next morning a Christian missionary drama group was visiting our church. During the Sunday school hour, I took my class of K-2nd graders and Hayden was also in with his class. The middle and high schoolers were there as well and the leader of the group was looking for some audience participation and let's just say that the kids were, ahem, still asleep. One of the questions was "What makes you truly happy?" and no one was answering. Hayden's hand shot right up in the air and he told the story of how the day before, he was able to have an ice cream treat with his friends... I was totally almost crying. The leader used this teachable moment to emphasize to all the kids that sometimes we need child-like faith to experience many blessings. Love it.
Seriously, is everything fun in Japan?? There are so many cool things for you guys to do! That is awesome...the kids are too cute!!!! Love you guys!
ReplyDelete