Sunday, May 31, 2009

Katie's First Laceration

I had to take Katie to the ER today! She fell down the last few stairs on her way to the basement and hit her face on the shelving unit that my parents have along the way. The cut is about a half inch long on her upper cheekbone near her eye. It really scared Hayden, who was terribly worried about his sister the whole time she was away. The cut looked pretty deep and was open because of the swelling, so my Dad drove and I sat in the back with my sweet girl who happily watched a Baby Einstein along the way.

The doctor said they could either do stitches or Dermoplast, which is a medical "super-glue" of sorts. He recommended the glue because of the proximity to the eye. They would've had to have strapped Katie down pretty tight to avoid any eye injuries with the needle. So they put some topical anesthetic in the form of a small wet gauze that I had to hold down on the cut for 30 minutes. As soon as I put it on and held her, she stopped crying and fell asleep! It was naptime, after all. So she slept for the 30 minutes and the 5 it took to glue her cut together.

Now she's good and tells everyone that the doctor gave her a shot (?) and made her feel all better. Maybe she dreamt about the shot. Either way, I am now exhausted emotionally and mentally and ready for bed at 9:20 on a Saturday night. Pictures later - g'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment